Read-A-Thon is a newer event to Carpenter. The Read-A-Thon is a school wide event that will occur from October 2-16th that encourages avid reading and also serves as a PFC fundraiser.
Students in all grades will track the number of minutes they read during this two-week period. In addition, students and their parents will seek sponsors for their reading.
Students and classes will be awarded reading prizes as follows:
- All students who participate will receive a reading ribbon
- All classes that have 100% participation will receive a popsicle (fruit bar) party
In each grade:
- The 3 students with the highest number of minutes read will receive prizes (First place – amazon kindle; Second place - $50 gift card to amazon.com; Third place - $25 gift card to amazon.com)
- The classroom with the highest average number of minutes read will receive a pizza party
Students will be given a packet of Read-A-Thon materials on Friday, October 2nd which will include a reading log, honor code (both parents and students must sign it), instructions on how the read-a-thon will work, sponsor page plus a list of recommended books by grade.
READ-A-THON LAUNCH EVENT
In addition, we will launch the Read-A-Thon with a READING PAJAMA PARTY on Friday, October 2nd from 5-7pm at school. This event will include:
- Book Share: students can bring in a book they are finished reading and take a new book from a classmate that they want to read;
- Food and Drinks
- Reading Time: We will have 5-7 adults reading books to our kids in groups; kids can then get their reading log started by getting credit for attentive listening to these readers. In addition, we may have a few children’s book authors read their books as well (and these books will be available for sale).
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
• Communication/marketing about the read-a-thon to your classroom
• Collecting all of the reader logs at the end of the read-a-thon period (on October 16th); following up with students and parents who have not turned in their logs and sponsor sheets.
Questions: Contact Karen Glass @ email@example.com